FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Do you ship outside of the continental U.S.?
Yes we do. See directions in red below to order. Some things to consider:
- We use UPS to ship to Hawaii and Alaska.
- We use the US Postal Service (USPS) for international overseas shipping. This is generally 1/3 - 1/2 less expensive than UPS or FedEx. There are two choices for USPS delivery. The first, Priority International, is more economical, but is not trackable and usually takes 6-10 business days from time of shipment to delivery. The second, Express Mail International, costs a bit more, is trackable, and usually takes 3-5 business from time of shipment to delivery.
- Generally, overseas shipping costs for the 3ft tabletop possibiliTree® range from US $50-$75 and for the 6ft suspended possibiliTree® range from US $75-$125.
- Canadian customers: Shipping costs range from US $35-$85.
- Australian customers: The cost to ship a 6ft suspended possibiliTree® anywhere in Australia through 2012 is US $165. The cost to ship a 3ft possibiliTree to Australia is generally in the $50-$75 range. Shipping time to Australia can vary; please contact us for details.
- International shipments may be subject to duties, fees, or VAT that are the customer's responsibility to pay.
- Please note that there is a chance that your shipment could spend time in customs before delivery. There is also a chance that inclement weather may delay delivery. These things are outside of our control.
- 3ft tabletop shipping box dimensions: 37" x 6" x 6". Shipment weight: 6 pounds. Converting to metric, the dimensions are 94 x 15.2 x 15.2 cm and the weight is 2.7 kg.
- 6ft suspended shipping box dimensions: 59" x 7" x 7". Shipment weight: 14 pounds (6.4 kg). Converting to metric, the dimensions are 150 x 18 x 18 cm and the weight is 6.4 kg.
INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS, and also Hawaiian and Alaskan customers: To place an order, please contact us.
Provide the following information:
Size of possibiliTree you would like to purchase (3ft tabletop or 6ft suspended)
Wood type (3ft tabletop - cherry, walnut, or maple / 6ft suspended - cherry or walnut).
Ceiling height of the room where you will display your tree if you are purchasing a 6ft suspended possibiliTree.
We will email you information on the cost to ship your order.
When you reply with your shipping method preference, we will send you a PayPal Request for Payment.
When your transaction clears PayPal, we will ship out your order and send you available tracking information.
2. I live in the Twin Cities. To avoid shipping costs, may I pick up my order at your studio?
Many Twin Cities customers have requested this service, and although we are not able to offer Will Call pickup at our PossibiliTree studio or business office, we are pleased to announce that Will Call pickup will be available in 2012 at Danish Teak Classics, a jewel of a store in NE Minneapolis that sells restored Mid-Century Modern Danish furniture. Will Call will be available during Danish Teak Classic's regular business hours. To exercise this option, DO NOT purchase a possibiliTree through the shopping cart. Rather, email us or with the following information:
- Your name
- Phone number
- Your purchase selection (3ft tabletop in walnut, cherry, or maple / or 6ft suspended in walnut or cherry)
- If you are purchasing a 6ft suspended possibiliTree, please also provide the height of the ceiling where you will display the tree.
As we receive your email, we will send you a PayPal Request for Payment. When your transaction clears, we will send you confirmation and a sales receipt, as well as information on when your order will be ready for pick up at Danish Teak Classics.
Acquiring Your Tree
3. Where can I see this tree in a store?
We sell possibiliTree® wooden trees primarily online and strive to make sure the photos on our website accurately depict the trees. Occasionally we may make some models of our trees available at select stores. When this occurs, we will post the store name and address on our website in the FIND US
section. Meanwhile, here is a video clip from the December 17, 2010, Today Show
featuring a 6ft suspended tree--to give you an idea of proportions and how it hangs. New for 2012, if you are in the Minneapolis/St Paul area, you can purchase a possibiliTree at Danish Teak Classics, 1500 Jackson Street NE, Suite 277.
4. Why do ceilings have to be at least 9 feet high to display the 6ft suspended tree?
It's a question of math. The 6ft tree is actually 68 inches from top to bottom. We recommend 18 inches between the bottom row of branches and the floor to allow plenty of space for gifts. The length of the wire between the top of the tree to the ceiling must be at least 22 inches. This length prevents the wire from pulling tightly and cutting into the dowels—the "stems" between the rows of branches—when stacking the tree
for storage. 68 inches + 22 inches + 18 inches = 108 inches = 9 feet.
5. Do I have any options if my ceiling is shorter than 9 feet and I really want a 6ft suspended tree?
Yes. You have two options: Tree with bottom row removed.
We wire your tree with 9 rows of branches instead of 10. This creates a 5 foot tree. Your tree will float the recommended 18 inches above the floor. The distance between the top of the tree and the ceiling will be a minimum of 22 inches and may be more, depending on your exact ceiling height. Full size 6ft tree that floats closer to the floor.
We wire the tree to its full size—68 inches. Your tree will include all 10 rows of branches. Since the distance between the top of the tree and the ceiling must be at least 22 inches, the distance between the bottow row of branches and the floor will vary between 1-17 inches, depending on the exact height of the ceiling.
If one of these two solutions is right for you, indicate your option in the special instructions box when making your online purchase. If you need more information, call or email us
6. Once I order, when will my tree arrive?
We aim to ship out orders within 5 days of receiving them. Depending on the delivery option you selected, your tree should arrive between 2-10 business days after shipping. In the event that our trees are on back order, we will notify you and apprise you of the wait time before we can send out your tree.
7. Is it possible to purchase a tree without using PayPal?
PayPal is our vehicle for online credit card transactions. You don't have to have a PayPal account to use PayPal. Just follow the prompts when making a purchase through our website shopping cart and use your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover card to charge your purchase. We have found PayPal to be safe and easy to use.
If you really object to using PayPal, you still could purchase a possibiliTree® wooden tree by mailing your order to us and including a cashier's check or money order. Please contact us
Displaying Your Tree
8. Why do my branches tilt and move?
The designer of possibiliTrees had easy storage in mind as well as clean lines when he created the first wooden trees. PossibiliTree® wooden trees are designed to be collapsible. This means the tree parts are not rigidly fixed together. Inherently the branches will tilt and move a little. Occasional readjustment is normal. To keep branches from becoming lopsided, make sure each branch is balanced on the ends with ornaments that weigh about the same.
9. What do you recommend for lighting a possibiliTree®?
To create light effects, you can:
- strategically place your tree under track lighting
- shine LED lights from below the tree and position as "spot lights"
- light up your branches with LED-embedded ornament
You may want to check out our website photo gallery for ideas--some possibiliTree owners have sent in photos of their decorated trees that include strung lights or use of cannister lights.
Like any wood product, this tree will burn. Do not place lit candles or hot objects on or near the tree.
As of yet we have not found any string of lights to look good on possibiliTree® branches. In your experiments, if you successfully string lights on your possibiliTree® and you are pleased with the results, we'd love to recommend your technique to others. Send us a photo
10. What kind of ornaments do you recommend?
We recommend that you display ornaments that have meaning to you and reflect aspects of you and your family's life. Tap into your creativity; display objects that give you pleasure.
Keep in mind that on a 3ft possibiliTree®, there are 4" between the layers of branches. Ideally, the combined length of each ornament and string should be in the 2"-3" range.
On the 6ft possibiliTree®, the space between the layers of branches ranges from 3.5" to almost 8". This allows for variation in size of ornaments and length of string as you see fit.
11. How have other people decorated their possibiliTrees?
We are delighted that some of our customers have already sent us photos of their decorated possibiliTrees. Vist our growing photo gallery
. If you would like to share photos of your decorated tree, send your digital images in jpeg to our photo curator, Pat, at email@example.com
12. How do I hang my 6ft suspended possibiliTree®?
Prior to hanging your suspended tree, you will need to install a hook in your ceiling. The hook should be able to support 60 pounds. The tree only weighs 13 pounds, but you need to take into account the weight of all the ornaments, and it's safer to err on the side of caution.
Because of the wide variety of ceiling materials and construction methods, we advise consulting with a local home or hardware store for guidance in choosing the appropriate ceiling hook. We have a drywall ceiling and use a buttefly anchor. If your ceilings are plaster or some other solid material, then a different device is necessary.
You'll find step by step directions for hanging the suspended tree in the assembly instructions that we'll send out with your purchase of a "6-footer."
13. Can I display my tree outdoors?
PossibiliTree® wooden trees are recommended for indoor use. Exposing your tree to the elements may cause the wood to darken unevenly or to warp.
14. Do possibiliTree® wooden trees require any maintenance?
PossibiliTree® wooden trees require little maintenance. To prevent premature darkening, avoid displaying your tree in a space that will receive hours and hours of direct sunlight. If the wood appears dry, use a soft cloth to apply a light coating of furniture oil to restore your tree to its original richness.
Store your tree in a cool, dry place. If you store your tree in its original shipping box, keep in mind that cardboard absorbs moisture and odors. Should your storage area harbor--even slightly--any mold, mildew, or other objectionable odor-generating organism, the shipping box and eventually the tree may absorb this scent. Heads up and caution!
15. I've lost my assembly instructions. Please help!
Just send us an email.
Let us know which model you have. We will send you a PDF of the assembly instructions.
16. I lost a part on my tabletop tree. Can I get a replacement?
Please contact us
. We are happy to replace lost parts. We will have to charge a nominal fee for replacement and shipping.
17. The metal rod is visible after I've assembled my tabletop tree.
First, make certain the the rod is screwed far enough down into the base. If the metal rod is still visible, please contact us
and we will help solve the issue.
18. Do you make a floor-standing 6ft possibiliTree®?
No. The 6-footer was designed as a suspended tree and looks best that way. To date, all prototypes of a floor-standing 6ft possibiliTree® have been "given the boot" by the company artistic director.
19. Would you custom wire my 6ft suspended possibiliTree® so that it hangs upside down (biggest branches nearest to the ceiling)?
Sorry, but no. The delicate top dowel and smallest branches will not support the weight of all the larger pieces in an upside down position.
20. Could I order a possibiliTree® in a different wood?
We want to put our energies into the products in our current line, so at this time we do not offer the option of custom wood selections.
21. Could I custom order a possibiliTree® in a different size?
Sorry, but we do not have the capacity at this time to make custom size trees with this one exception: We can modify the 6ft suspended tree to 5ft by removing the bottom row of branches before wiring. See #4 above for more information.
22. We'd like to have a possibiliTree, but painted in white or silver or green. Please advise.
We are not set up to do this for you. If you are compelled to take on a DIY painting project, keep in mind these things:
- It would require less paint if you chose the lightest wood available, e.g. maple.
- Our trees are finished with a Watco Danish oil. You'd need to strip that off.
- The 6ft suspended possibiliTree arrives at your doorstep pre-strung. To effectively paint these branches, you'd want to unstring the tree, paint the 67 individual branches and 10 dowel "spacers" and restring your tree, requiring a special crimper tool. We can't imagine this as anything but a labor of love--or insanity. (Sorry. Just our opinion.)
- The 3ft tabletop possibiliTree would be less hassle to paint.
Facts about possibiliTrees. Info about the company.
23. Is the wood used on your PossibiliTrees solid wood? Is formaldehyde used at any stage in the production of your trees? Is there a finish on the wood? I am trying to avoid VOCs and formaldehyde emissions.
Our wood supplier responds, "[PossibiliTrees] are finished with Watco Danish oil and yes there are VOC’s (volatile organic compounds) in production. This volatile material is the solvent base which dissipates during drying. If you were to look up the MSDS, the material safety data sheet, on Watco oils, you would see considerable cautions on handling which all apply to the liquid state and are cautions for production process. I cannot comment specifically on Watco, but we use other oil based finishes, that once dried, are certified as child safe for toys, under the CPSIA. Please note that even latex based paints used inside your house have VOC’s and once again, the issue pertains to the liquid state. Formaldehyde concerns typically pertain to glues used in plywood and particle board, rather than solid wood such as these products. CA has instituted new regulations banning formaldehyde use in furniture and building products and the industry has pretty much converted to formaldehyde free adhesives over the past couple years. No worries with solid wood."
24. How "green" is your tree?
By virtue of the fact that possibiliTree® wooden trees are a natural wood product, possibiliTrees are green. You can make them greener by using them year after year. Additionally, possibiliTrees are minimally processed. They are reusable, recyclable, and, with the exception of the metal rod, wire, and tiny amount of plastic used on the different models, are biodegradable.
When possible, we make our trees with naturally fallen trees (deadfall). The wood from our wild cherry tabletop that we've offered in the past cames from a cherry tree that grew in the countryside of north central Minnesota and fell during a summer thunderstorm.
All the wood we use is domestic (grown in the United States). We understand that out in the greater universe of wood products for sale, some merchants use jatoba and ipe--woods from rainforest areas--to mimic the look of domestic wood at lower costs. We have been assured by our wood supplier, H.A. Stiles, that we have the real thing--real, walnut, real cherry, real maple--all sourced from within the USA.
We use plastic wrapping in the process of packing our trees for shipping. If we find an acceptable green alternative, we will switch to that.
25. How sustainable is your company?
Although we have no right to make judgments about what type of Christmas tree people display in their homes--be it a fresh cut evergreen, a tree made from plastic, or an alternative such as ours--we do view owning a possibiliTree as a statement about one's respectful relationship to the natural world and a commitment to sustainability.
The average fresh cut Christmas tree lasts a few weeks in the home before making its way to the compost pile and the life of a plastic tree is 6-10 years, depending on who is doing the calculating. PossibiliTrees are durable. The original possibiliTree, designed in 1981, has been the family Christmas tree every year since (and continues to delight the eye). Further, we believe the production of a possibiliTree--comprised of hardwood harvested in the United States, metal (wire for the 6ft tree, metal rod for the 3ft), and finished with Danish oil--wreaks far less assault on the environment than an artificial tree, completely the product of the be-fouling petro-chemical industry.
The designer of the possibiliTree, architect Richard Babcock, designed this tree in response to a request from his wife, Dot, who was tired of the maintenance, mess, and cleanup associated with keeping a live Christmas in their home. If nothing else, displaying a possibiliTree eliminates the human energy expended on caring for an evergreen over the holdiays. This may seem like a little thing, but in a hectic, multi-tasking, stressful world, removing one daily task from the chore list can be seen as a step towards creating a more sustainable life.
26. Do you donate a percentage of your profits to charity?
This is a great idea and we appreciate businesses that are able to do this. For us, though, the reality is that we would have to pass on the cost of our charitable contributions to our customers. This would increase the price of our trees. We suspect that given a choice, our customers would opt to purchase a possibiliTree® wooden tree at the lowest price possible and to donate to charitable organizations on their own.
27. Will you donate a tree to my nonprofit cause?
Sorry. We are not yet in a financial position to do so.
28. Why do you call possibiliTree® wooden trees A Tree for Life?
- PossibiliTree® wooden trees are designed to last for years--perhaps a lifetime.
- We hope that your possibiliTree® serves as a tree for your life--to frame times and spaces that have meaning for you.
- By using the phrase A Tree for Life, we are aligning our trees and our business to the mythical "Tree of Life," a many branched tree illustrating the idea that all life on the planet is related. This is a powerful image for us and one that reminds us to build a business that is humble, sustainable, and rooted in integrity.
A Chance to Win a PossibiliTree
29. Announcing the 2012 "Plethora of Friends" Giveaway for a chance to win a 3ft tabletop or a 6ft suspended possibiliTree® wooden tree, valued at $215 and $425, respectively.
To enter the drawing simply go to our PossibiliTree Facebook page and click on the "Like" icon in the upper right hand corner of the page. You are thereby automatically entered into the drawing. Once we reach 700 friends on our Facebook page, we will draw for the winner of a 3ft tabletop possibiliTree. Once we reach 900 friends on our Facebook page, we will draw for the winner of a 6ft suspended possibiliTree. Please encourage your friends to "like" PossibiliTree. The sooner we reach the magic numbers of 700 and 900 friends, the sooner we will draw for winners.
Eligibility: All persons who “Like” us on our PossibiliTree Facebook page are eligible to win, with the exception of winners in previous giveaways.
We will notify the winners through Facebook. The winner of the 3ft tabletop possibiliTree may choose between a cherry, walnut, or maple tree. The winner of the 6ft suspended possibiliTree may choose between a cherry or walnut tree. We will custom string the 6ft possibiliTree to the winner's ceiling height specifications. PossibiliTree LLC will ship free to USA winners & defray shipping costs to winners living abroad.
Update: We reached 700 friends on December 8, 2012. We announced the winner, Renee Miller, on Facebook. As we reach 900 friends, we will again give away another possibiliTree.
Do you have a question? Contact us.